New York State High School Gradution Requirements
New York State High School Graduation Requirements
The State of New York requires that all students complete a minimum of twenty-two credits, two of which are earned by completing a ½ credit of Physical Education during each year of high school.
The following units of credit are required for graduation in New York State:
- English - 4 credits
- Mathematics - 3 credits
- Science - 3 credits*
- Social Studies - 4 credits
- World Language (LOTE) - 1 credit
- Health - ½ credit
- Art/Music - 1 credit
- Physical Education - 2 credits
- Electives - 3 ½ credits
*Included in the 3 Science credits earned must be 1 Physical Science course and 1 Life Science course.
Requirements for a Regents or Local Diploma
In addition to successful completion of the appropriate 22 units of credits, students must pass* 4 required Regents Exams (English, one Social Studies, one Math and one Science), plus 1 Regents Exam in a content area of choice, or Pathway (math, science, social studies, or a Career and Technical Education Exam through an approved BOCES program).
* Eligible students may meet the assessment requirements using Appeals, Safety Nets, and Superintendent Determination.
Requirements for a Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation
In addition to successful completion of the appropriate 22 units of credit, in order to earn a Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation, students must:
- Pass two additional math assessments and one additional science assessment along with the required 5 Regents Exams
- Earn 2 additional credits in World Languages (for a total of 3 credits) and pass the locally developed Checkpoint B World Languages Exam
Please refer to the NYSED website and/or see your counselor for additional information.