The Board of Education is responsible for the scope, depth and quality of education in the district. It is the policy making body for the school district. As elected officials they:
- Select the Superintendent of Schools as chief executive officer of the district.
- Define the philosophy of education for the district and set goals to achieve the desired educational progress.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of district programs and services.
- Appoint professional and non-certificated personnel and set salaries.
- Establish policies for the operation of the school district.
- Develop a budget consistent with educational needs and community resources.
- Communicate the progress and needs of the district to the community, educational governing boards, and legislators.